Monday, April 12, 2021

Original Collector Card Art

Four years ago I was shopping at a local Hobby Lobby store and came across packets of baseball card sized (2.5" x 3.5") Bristol board and watercolor paper and I bought a packet of each. Out of curiosity, I searched the net and I discovered that there is a niche for baseball card sized original artwork. I told myself, "hey, I can, at least, sketch and draw a mini-pic within two days!" So, I set aside my lunch breaks drawing and painting. I'd prepare my lunch the night before, a sandwich and a bag of chips. I'd take the first 20-minutes of the hour break eating and then spend the last 40-minutes drawing and painting. The hardest part is coming up with a subject to illustrate. In this first instance, I went with my "go to" subject, Godzilla! Over two days I spent my lunches getting the pencils down and painting.

After completing the painting I put it away and then, like so many of us do, forgot the place where I had put it away at. This week I took the time to start some "spring cleaning" and discovered a small box full of junk papers. In the box among all the papers was a Ziploc sandwich bag filled with a stack of old Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers and NASCAR ticket stubs as well as stubs from other events like concerts that I'd attended over the years. On the very top of the stack was my Godzilla painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment